Friday, December 17, 2010

Catch-up!

Wow, it's been a while. Work and everything else have been pretty hectic (so what else is new), and I let my blogging here slide. But I've got lots of money stuff going on.

What's new:
I didn't get a raise. It's been two years since my last one, and now the news from management is that I've topped out the "band" for my level and position. Moving into a different department might increase my potential salary, but I've not made any decisions yet. In these uncertain times, I'm planning on staying with this company (and in my current position if I must) as long as they're willing to pay me. I count on a steady income, and I'd rather plug along doing work I am good at (even if it's not the most inspiring) while I have the opportunity.

I collected receipts -- every single one -- throughout October and some of November, but I fell off around Thanksgiving. I think it was a great exercise in seeing where my money goes, but I realize that I use my debit card (or now my American Express) for most purchases. I think that going forward, I will track ATM withdrawals and cash spending only; the other information is recorded online at my bank and American Express and Mint.com. I'll still hang on to receipts for large purchases, or those that might be important for tax purposes.

I have started the grad school application process! I am still waiting on my W-2s (but I can use the ones from 2009 for the FAFSA application, I believe) to complete the process and submit the application online, but I did order an undergraduate transcript yesterday and had that sent to the admissions office.

Oh, and... Drumroll, please!

I PAID OFF MY STUDENT LOAN.

*cheers* That's $18,689.69 (about $15,000 plus interest) paid off, 5 years after graduating (including a year of unemployment without income, in which I went into deferral status for several months). That means I can start applying the same monthly payment ($500) to a savings account for grad school fees! And it means that I am officially debt-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment